Thursday, January 1, 2015

I'm going to make just one crazy resolution for 2015


In an attempt to be slightly more balanced in my thinking about race and gender: I will not watch more movies with white and male protagonist saving the day, than movies with non-white and non-male protagonist.

For example, if i want to watch Jurassic World with Chris Pratt saving the day, i need to balance the whiteness by watching Rurouni Kenshin. And for every Thor/Captain America/Avengers film, I need to watch a Hunger Games or Maleficent to help balance the maleness.

In the unlikely event that there is a movie whose protagonist is both non-white and female, it counts as offsetting 2 white-male movies. At present i cannot think of any such movie, unless the protagonist is like a slave or something really tragic, and not saving the day, thus the unicorn of such a movie gets to have more weight.

Note: This resolution applies to all movies watched, be they on TV, at cinemas, and even on the computer. Please feel free to recommend good movies with female and non-white leads to help me offset everything else. I had originally wanted make a resolution to abstain from any movies with white male protagonists, but then i realised there would be nothing left to watch but teenage and children's movies so...

1 comment:

  1. Go watch Seven Samurai by Kurosawa Akira. And Rashomon while at it.

    I would recommend anime, but I know you don't really like anime that much. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete